Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday, May 23: Strasbourg Cathedral

I actually did get up in time to avoid lines at the Cathedral. I even snuck into the Creperie in the Place de la Cathedrale for a very exciting breakfast find: they have galettes (the buckwheat, savory crepes) here! So I had one of those and then a regular crepe with strawberry jam inside. Gotta get some energy before walking up to the top of the church spires!

I got my Strasbourg Pass from the Tourist Info Center and headed up 330+ stairs to the viewing deck of the Cathedrale de Notre Dame. (lots of pics, including one of my head) I took a few shots from the streets as well: it's notorious for only having the one spire temple thing at the top (2 were originally planned, but budget left them with one).

I made the walk from the hotel to the train station to see if it'd be a pain to walk with my bags on Monday. It's mostly flat, so it would be ok... if it weren't for the multitude of people I'd have to navigate around! I'm gonna go ahead with a tram ticket this go around. I hurried back to the cathedral for the astrological clock film & presentation at noon and the line to get in was around the side of the church (it's not a small church). So I think I'll do that tomorrow...

The weather is really being good to me again today, so I walked from corner to corner of Strasbourg's center of town, including stopping back through "little France" (la Petite France) and the covered bridges down on that side of the city (pics).

Since I was over there, I decided to use my museum pass to get into the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art for free. I was about halfway through the first special exhibit when I remembered I really hate modern art. I was fully creeped out by the first exposition, so I tried another one that was supposed to be on color. Turned out to be on yellow. Wow. I'm glad there are those who can appreciate it, but I scooted out. Side story: I tried to get out one of the doors midway through the 2nd exposition and ended up in a fire escape type hallway, thinking I'd gotten locked in when the door shut behind me and that my only way out would be through the door that would set off the alarm... turns out I just needed to pull on the door back to the exhibit rather than push. Genius.

Stopped at Galleries LayFayette for fruit and water and a yogurt drink thing, since my breakfast was hardly digested 3 hours later. I went with a light lunch. I actually found a juice bar (in Alsace? Seriously!) and grabbed some much-needed fruit intake there, too. Now, just so you don't think I'm suddenly changing my ways, I did this for lunch because I knew today would be treat-myself-to-ice-cream-day. Everyone here has ice cream... like, all the time. I found myself in front of an artisinal bakery that served "house-made" ice cream and ordered the "Sesame" flavor. Actually, no quotes needed... it actually had toasted sesame seeds in it, along with shaved chocolate pieces. It was scrumptous and different, so I'm glad I tried it!

I headed back to the hotel to grab the laptop and try to find a WiFi spot closeby. When I asked the front desk attendant where she recommended I go, she actually told me they have free internet at the hotel! Ahhh (the sound of a choir singing)! So I'm finally getting around to some blog posting.

Tonight: some Rick Steves suggested dining and maybe a boat tour (unless it's crazy busy and then I'll save boating for tomorrow).

Pics of Day 2 in Strasbourg on Flickr

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home